Accuracy is vital when you want to start measuring your blood pressure at home. Small details can greatly affect each reading. This is why learning the proper way of measuring will help you achieve accurate readings.
We are here to guide you on how to get your readings right, and how you can avoid common mistakes.
- Avoid strenuous activities before you start measuring. When doing strenuous activities, your heart will pump harder and faster for the blood to circulate and deliver oxygen to your muscles. When this happens, it is possible that your systolic blood pressure (upper) will rise while the diastolic (bottom) number will slightly decrease.
- Do not shower or bathe 30 minutes prior to measuring. The water temperature can also impact your blood pressure readings.
- Avoid drinking hot or iced drinks 30 minutes before measuring. Similar to taking a hot or cold bath, doing such can affect the readings. Cold water can possibly lead to increased blood pressure while hot water could possibly make your blood pressure low.
- Remove any accessories such as watches, bracelets, or pieces of jewelry on your left arm. Anything that could possibly tighten your skin can result in inaccurate readings.
- Small movements such as talking and crossing your legs may have an impact on your readings.
- Don’t take any measurements when you are feeling the need to go to the bathroom.
- 2 minutes before taking a measurement, sit still and relax while taking deep breaths. Readings will be more accurate if you are in a relaxed state.
- When taking a measurement, the cuff of your monitor must be placed correctly. Wrap the cuff around your left arm. Make sure that it is snugly fitted but not too tight around your upper arm. As a general rule, you should be able to slip one finger under your cuff.
- While measuring, continue to sit still and relax.
- Record or note your readings if needed, especially if you need to show the results to your Doctor.
To do all of this, you will need a reliable and accurate Arm Cuff Monitor. Don’t worry, iProven has got you covered! We have easy-to-use Blood Pressure Monitors available for you. You can check them here.
Practice and follow the steps we have provided. In no time, you’ll be able to take your readings like a pro!