The coronavirus is linked to symptoms, such as shortness of breath. This can be easily self-assessed with a pulse oximeter. No wonder the devices have been flying off the (online) shelves.
What is a Pulse Oximeter?
A pulse oximeter, or pulse ox for short, is a device that measures the level of oxygen in your blood. By clipping the pulse ox to your finger, it continuously measures how much oxygen your red blood cells carry around your body.
The display will show your oxygen level in percentages. 95% and above is considered normal and healthy by the American Lung Association. Anything below 90% is worrisome and a reason to contact a medical professional immediately.
In addition to measuring the level of oxygen in your blood, pulse oximeters also track your pulse rate. Your pulse rate is shown on the display as beats per minute.
The benefits of monitoring your oxygen levels
Shortness of breath and low oxygen levels are two possible signs of COVID-19. Although the coronavirus is often accompanied by other symptoms, such as cough; fever; muscle pain; headache; sore throat; and loss of taste or smell, it is helpful to gather data on your oxygen levels baseline. Determining your baseline can be done by monitoring your oxygen levels with a pulse oximeter regularly. According to Dr. Richard Levitan in the New York Times, this helps to catch low oxygen levels early and possibly prevent worse.
By identifying low oxygen levels in the initial stages of the coronavirus, it can be treated more easily. Which means chances of a good outcome are higher. Use your home pulse oximeter as a warning system and catch COVID-19 in the earliest stage.
iProven’s Pulse Oximeters
iProven manufacturers two devices that help you to keep an eye on your oxygen saturation level. The OXI-27 and the OXI-33. Both monitors are easy-to-use and registered by the FDA. Find out below which device fits your needs best.
iProven Oximeter OXI-27
The OXI-27 is designed to help you understand your personal baseline regarding oxygen levels and pulse rate.
- Tracks oxygen saturation levels
- Measures pulse rate per minute
- Includes a lanyard, pouch and user manual
- For people who suffer from a lung condition that requires keeping an eye on your oxygen levels
- For athletes who want to give their fitness levels a boost
iProven Oximeter OXI-33
The OXI-33 is equipped with the newest technology to make the device clinically accurate while also easy-to-use at home.
- Tracks oxygen saturation levels and pulse rate per minute
- Measures Perfusion Index (PI): The strength of the signal as received by the device
- Measures Respiratory Rate (RR): Your number of breaths per minute on average
- Shows a plethysmograph that indicates blood flow based on your pulse rate
- Includes an alarm that sounds when your levels drop too low
- For people who need an extremely accurate device, because of underlying pulmonary issues
- For people who want to reduce their stress levels and need insight into their sleeping pattern
The information in this blog post is accurate as of press time. However, as the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, it's possible that some data have changed since publication. While iProven is trying to keep the information as up-to-date as possible, we encourage customers to stay informed on news and recommendations for their own communities by using the CDC, WHO, and their local public health department as resources.